cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I post on TikTok with Later, will my TikTok video be shown to the country of Later's servers?

Nikarwong
Community Starter

As everyone knows, TikTok is entirely location based. If you're in Sydney, Australia, your video will be shown to people in your town/city and if it does well, it gets shown to the rest of Sydney then to the rest of Australia, then to Oceania and Asia, and if it does well, to the rest of the world.

But if I schedule my TikTok video with Later, how will this work? If Later's servers are based in the US, that means my videos uploaded via Later will be seen by viewers in US even though I'm not from there?

I honestly feel Tiktok's location limit is a big disadvantage to people from poorer or more deserted countries.

3 REPLIES 3

JenniferLater
Later Community Manager
Later Community Manager

Hi there- this is a great question. Thanks for bringing it to the Community.

The location will depend on the chosen Publishing Method in Later: so, for notification publishing, since this a manual way of publish and you need to open the app to finish publishing, the location will be based on the physical location; for Auto Publishing, the video will be processed through TikTok's servers, so the location will be based on wherever those servers are located (which we do not have any insight on).

We hope this helps, but if you have further questions about TikTok's servers, you might be able to find some insight or advice from other Later Users within the Social Strategy Forum here in the Community. 

All the best!

RebecaMaegin
Community Starter

I have this exact problem as I want to reach a US audience but I live in Scandinavia. Tiktoks algorithm searches for your location in several ways. It's your IP address (from wifi, mobile carrier), your SIM, the time zone on your phone, Google play location - I might have forgotten some something here. It also looks at everything you write and do on your phone as well as other devices connected via Google accounts and Tiktok.

What I'm trying now is starting a new account with a virtual US number, from a tablet I only use for Tiktok that is set on US time zone. I use a new email address only for Tiktok. I don't have a sim card in it and I use wifi with VPN + GPS spoof (I use Surfshark that has both). I don't use Google Play on this tablet so to get apps on it I download the apk file directly from a browser. When I sign in to Tiktok I do so via email - NOT Google or Facebook etc. In Later I would also set the time zone for a US time zone. 

I'm only starting with this now and haven't posted yet but so far all of the videos on my FYP has been from Miami, which is the specific location and time zone I have everything set to. So let's see how it goes. My guess after the research I've done is that it's the SIM card /virtual number that makes the main difference. I hope this helps!

ClonieLater
Later Community Moderator
Later Community Moderator

@RebecaMaegin Hmmm, that is a great observation and a great idea! Thank you for sharing this, and please share your findings on our Social strategy board! We appreciate your support!💛💚😊